I came across this posting on Craigslist today, and wanted to share it. As you can see, a “leading entertainment company” is looking to recruit new DJs for their outfit. They aren’t requiring any actual DJ experience (let alone mixing skill) and are offering a pay scale starting at $10 per hour (and of course, moving up to $25 an hour once “training” is over). If you have a car, a laptop, can lift 60lbs, and of course have a “Show Must Go On Mentality”, you pretty much qualify. 😉
If you shop around, you’ll find that these many of the large DJ outfits price their services comparatively to the smaller operators.
That being said, if you go with one of these outfits, you are potentially getting a DJ with almost no experience playing in front of “live” crowds, no technical skill whatsoever (in terms of being able to mix), and one who is being compensated at a small fraction of what the company is charging YOU.
Once again, its always wise to be sure you are aware of exactly what you are getting for your money – not all DJs are the same, both in terms of skill level and overall investment. It’s my firm opinion that there is a HUGE difference between a skilled DJ who has spent years developing their technical skill (and has a passion for what they do) and someone who answers an ad on Craigslist looking to make some beer money on the side.
Anyways, here’s the text from the ad:
Seeking High Energy Mobile DJ
Seeking energetic person with great personality to DJ Event Host numerous events including karaoke nights, as well as DJ private events such as wedding receptions, corporate events, school dances, Birthday Parties and more for a leading entertainment company in SF Bay Area.
• Must Have Outgoing Personality and be High Energy
• Must Have Your Own Laptop
• Macbook Laptop Must be in working order.
• Must Have Microsoft Office On Computer
• Must Know how to troubleshoot audio components or willingness to learn.
• Must have Show Must Go On Mentality
• Must Be Dependable
• Must Have Reliable Transportation (we will compensate for gas & tolls)
• Diverse Music Knowledge is preferred.
• You must be able to lift up to 60 pounds
• Must be willing to do events in the entire Bay Area Metro, including surrounding San Jose, North Bay, South Bay East Bay, Northern California. etc..
If you answered no to any of the above requirements, please do us and yourself a favor and do not apply.
• Training Pay will be $10.00 per hour until training completed.
• Pay starts at $25.00 per hour and goes up with experience.
We will only consider applicants who email us a resume and head shot for consideration.
In addition, if you work for your own DJ company or another DJ company no need to apply.
it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests